For your plants to thrive and flourish abundantly in your greenhouse, it will require special care to ensure suitable temperatures and accurate brightness in order to enhance the process of photosynthesis. Pick the right grow lights for your greenhouse and make sure that they are proven to have the best advantages when it comes to illumination. These artificial lighting systems can completely supplement natural lighting.
Grow lights are the best solution for a greenhouse that is located in a place where there is inadequate sunlight for extended periods. A serious gardener that lives in such a location but wants to have a year-long planting process will benefit by using grow lights.
Studies have revealed that plants are responsive to particular wavelengths of light and take in the maximum chlorophyll when exposed to red and blue lights. All of this makes grow lights one of the must-have greenhouse accessories that you will want to think about.
Incandescent lights remain the cheapest alternative but need to be placed a bit far from the plants as they can emit too much heat. They can give an average lifespan of around 1,000 hours, and they work best for specific plant species.
The blue lights emitted by fluorescent bulbs encourage bushy growth from plants. They do not give off too much heat and more energy efficient. They also last longer than incandescent lights and are usually the choice of gardeners during seeding.
Different Types of Greenhouse Grow Lights
Knowing more about lightings is a big plus to help you decide which works for your gardening goals. They can be used alone or combined together to get the best gardening performance. Pick the right grow lights for your greenhouse that will answer your specific needs. Here's a few of them.
- T-5 bulbs are full-spectrum fluorescent lights that are capable of giving an efficient and high output. It uses less power than conventional lights and can serve up to 50,000 hours.
- HID or High-Intensity Discharge bulbs can provide the efficiency you need especially when you plan to plant over a wide area. They have to be installed at a good distance as they can be too hot for the plants to cope with. There are two kinds of HID bulbs such as the high-pressure sodium and the metal Halide.
- The high-pressure sodium is a glowing red light that is best used to encourage flowering and budding. The Halide, on the other hand, is a bluish colored light that stimulates plant growth.
- Light-emitting diode, or LED lights, are the new kid on the block which seems to have superseded the other types of grow lights regarding performance, energy efficiency, and lifespan. The bulbs come in blue and red colors, easily installed, and lightweight. LED lights have been seen to provide less energy consumption as much as 30% compared to fluorescent lights. The plants also benefit from the balanced heat emissions given by the bulbs. The 11 years lifespan of the lamp is also budget friendly which adds to its allure.
Pick the Right Grow Lights for Your Greenhouse
Grow lights are a necessity when you want a garden for all seasons. They are especially important to have in the greenhouse during winter. Having grow lights is the best way to provide a constant and incessant warmth and healthy lighting to wintering plants. While different people would need different types, shapes, and light spectrums of lights, some products will always rise above the rest.
GENESIS LED Powered Grow Light Systems
- The design is inspired by NASA experimental space planting project using LED
- Portable, lightweight, and easy to install that does not need fans, switches or buttons. All you need to do it is to plug it in, and you're good to go.
- A proud American-made product
- Perfect grow light to stimulate growth from varied types of plants from flowers, vegetables, herbs, and more
- Gives an incredible lifetime of more than 50,000 hours
- Includes either 4, 6, or 12 rows of lights depending on the model, all with low energy consumption.
- Foregoes the need for heat dissipating devices and external fans.
- 3 years of limited warranty
- Easily gives warmth and heat to 12 plants
- Features controlled lighting that can boost up yield time of plants.
Dimgogo LED Greenhouse Grow Light
- It mimics natural sunlight with its IR and UV white, red, and blue lights to make it the perfect light to use for plants of varying growth stages.
- It has an amazing price for a grow light that also has a built-in cooling system.
- It is a very quiet light that is created specifically for greenhouses.
- The warranty period is for three years.
Sun System Greenhouse Grow Lights
- It is easy and quick to install where all you have to do is to plug it in after taking it out of the box
- This is the best example of a light that uses the HID system
- It is low-maintenance with the self-contained system that is ideal for novice greenhouse gardeners
- The powerful HPV comes in a compact package
- It works best for small greenhouse designs
Illumitex Eclipse Gen2 LED Grow Light
- This is very lightweight at only six pounds and can be chained together up to 15 lights using the 9-foot long power cord that can be an option with the purchase.
- There is a proven track record of providing the best light and heat benefits for winter planting.
- It includes a dust-resistant, waterproof, and damp-proof slender bar with attached 12 LED units.
- The warranty period for five years.
- Made of anodized aluminum.